Purple Protein Power Smoothie Recipe For Busy Mums
by Mona Fe on Nov 15, 2022
Want to know what every busy mum needs first thing in the morning?
Yes, of course, coffee.
But essentially, what we really need is a great boost to keep us energised throughout the day. Most mornings, though, all we can manage is to prep the kids something awesome and maybe just grab something for ourselves later on.
Well, just because we’ve got our hands full, doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a healthy start to our day as well.
We’re really excited to share this incredibly delicious, super nutritious smoothie recipe that’s been road-tested many times over at the WMBT HQ. In fact, we’ve come up with so many winning variants to this breakfast beverage that we’re also sharing those with you below.
Try forgoing that morning brew once in a while with this Purple Protein Power Smoothie recipe for when you need something extra.
And guess what, mums, if you like this recipe, you will enjoy the other nine included in WMBT’s soon-to-be-released booklet, "Drinks for Mum". There you’ll find a range of recipes – from hearty hot chocolate to fruity kombucha to an ice-cold gin and tonic. It’s always a great idea to have season-spanning, all-occasion beverages on standby! So be sure to check that one out, too.
Bring On The Busy Day
Trying to stay in tip-top shape might be easier said than done for mums who have a lot going on.
Have your fruit and drink it, too, with this all-in-one breakfast in a cup that’s perfect for when you need to be on the go. With its bright flavours and pretty purple colour, you’ll be starting your day off with a smile.
Yup, especially when you sip your smoothie through this cheerful little reusable silicone straw! They’re not just for your little ones – this WMBT Bendie Straw is a must-have for every member of the household! This eco-friendly alternative to paper and plastic straws has an angled tip that lets you easily slurp up every last drop of your protein drink and a stem that’s wide enough to fit fruit chunks that find their way into your cup.
This smoothie is such a lip-smacking treat that even your kids can get in on the fun! Simply skip the protein powder and let them share in the goodness.
You can even mix and match whatever pantry staples you have on hand, because this smoothie is awesome in its versatility and nutritional punch.
What’s In Our Cup?
Our Purple Protein Power Smoothie is all about giving busy mums the recommended daily amount of protein to keep them looking and feeling their best.
So why settle for unhealthy options that are packed with processed sugar that only leave you more exhausted later on?
- All Fruit – This basic recipe makes use of blueberries and bananas because it’s our absolute favourite combo over at the WMBT HQ. But this versatile smoothie works perfectly with any fruit you fancy. It’s loaded with natural sugar to fuel you up with natural energy. Plus, it’s packed with fibre, which may help with digestion and maintaining a healthy blood sugar level throughout the day.
- Spinach – No full meal is complete without our greens! Spinach is very high in iron, which is a star component for producing energy. It’s also filled with vitamins C, A, and calcium. No spinach in sight? Substitute with kale, if that’s what you have on hand.
- Protein Powder – Studies show how protein powder may help women lose weight and excess fat mass, all while aiding in lean muscle development.
- Almonds – High in plant protein, they help keep you full and satisfied. Almonds are also an excellent source of magnesium, vitamin E and calcium.
- Flax Seeds – Another must for any breakfast smoothie because they’re extremely high in Omega-3 fatty acids. This nutrient is crucial to help you stay alert and focused all day long.
Chia seeds are also a great alternative when you don’t have flax seeds in the pantry. They are a good source of protein with high fibre content that may help with digestion.
Makes 2 Shakes | Prep 10 minutes
- 100 g (1 cup) frozen blueberries
- 100 g frozen banana, cut into chunks equates to 1 medium banana
- 10 g (1/4 cup) fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp flaked almonds
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) natural yoghurt, optional
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) water
Place all ingredients into a high-speed food processor and blitz until smooth.
Transfer to glasses of choice and serve with your favourite We Might Be Tiny Bendie Straws.
If not using natural yoghurt, increase the volume of water to 500 ml (2 cups).
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT FRUIT SMOOTHIE
Let’s face it, a cup of coffee takes a lot less time than making an energising protein shake. That’s a pretty good excuse for not making one and instead opting for something easier and a lot less healthy. Keep in mind all the amazing health benefits that go along with each smoothie (hello, metabolism boost!), and take a look at these helpful tips for making them:
- Pre-divide ingredients – Pre-cut and measure everything and place in individual containers. Come morning, just dump the contents of the jar into the blender, add your water (and yoghurt if using) and blend!
- Make it ahead – This is what we do all the time, and it’s genius! Simply make ahead in big batches and freeze them in silicone moulds.
Our pick? These adorable WMBT Freeze & Bake Poddies. They make creating kitchen masterpieces fun, easy, and efficient without the mess. We only need to pop out four to five poddies, stir with your liquid of choice, and blend. Tadaa!
Other Great Shakes To Try:
- Green With Envy: Leave out the fruits for this ultra-hydrating smoothie of cucumbers, mint and unsweetened almond milk. We recommend stevia drops for a hint of sweetness.
- Pretty In Pink Protein: Use bananas and strawberries with beets instead of spinach, and swap out your water for almond milk.
- Coffee Kickstarter: Skip the berries and veggies and instead use bananas, rolled oats, cacao powder, oat milk, and chilled coffee.
- Choco-licious Smoothie: Instead of blueberries, use strawberries and half an avocado with your bananas. Blend together with pitted Medjool dates, honey, cocoa powder, and almond milk.
Ready to make your own Purple Protein Power Drink? Be sure to tag us at @wemightbetiny on social media. We’d love to see it!
PIN THIS RECIPE