Mexican Veggie Stack Recipe for Kids
by Mona Sotomayor on Nov 15, 2023
Tired of juggling pots, pans and picky eaters? Say hello to the superhero of weeknight dinners – our Mexican Veggie Stack for kids! Quick, easy, and a lifesaver for busy mums, it's the ultimate culinary cape that'll have you dishing out smiles faster than you can say "super supper."
Among our favourite easy dinner recipes, it highlights the beautiful colours and textures of vegetables while creating a balanced meal for your kids. It packs quite a nutritional punch! Loaded with protein-rich chickpeas & beans, carrots & capsicums that are bursting with vitamins, and ooey-gooey cheese, this stack is a powerhouse of wholesome goodness for your munchkins.
We get it - convincing the little ones to go all-in on veggies can be tricky; but, this clever recipe is up for the challenge! Especially when you serve our Mexican Veggie Stack in our too-cute-to-resist WMBT Snackies! Not only do these adorable silicone snack boxes add an extra sprinkle of fun, but they're also eco-friendly, aligning with our We Might Be Tiny commitment to sustainability. Perfect for kids of all ages, this cute lunch box is also a sanity saver for mums across the board. Crafted for busy lifestyles, marching through dishwashers, ovens, and microwaves with ease.
Why Our Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole Is Perfect For You
We're spilling the beans (pun intended!) on why we’re absolutely convinced that our vegetarian casserole will win a special place in your list of family dinner ideas.
- Simplicity On The Go. We made this with you in mind, Mum! This Mexican Veggie Stack recipe is a quick and almost effortless endeavour that seamlessly fits into your routine – no matter how hectic it gets. You’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
- Nutrition in Every Bite. Brimming with good-for-you ingredients like protein-packed beans, vibrant veggies, and calcium-loaded cheese, this stack guarantees a hearty, healthy and balanced meal for your kids.
- Family Fun In The Kitchen. Embrace the joy of cooking as a family by getting everyone involved, transforming meal prep into a heartwarming bonding experience. It’s also a clever way to cultivate creativity and a genuine love for food for your little ones.
- Mess-Free Meal Preps. WMBT Snackies make prepping, storing and reheating a breeze. They even come with a snug, snap-on lid for when you have leftovers for next-day snacking. You’re welcome! *wink*
Ready to try this winner-dinner out for yourself?
Mexican Veggie Stack Recipe
Prep 20 minutes | Cooking time 1 hour | Serves 6
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chilli powder, optional
- 400 g (1 can) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 400 g (1 can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 400 g (1 can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400 g (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 200 g (2 cups) cheese, grated
- Place the carrot, zucchini and capsicum in a high-speed food processor and blitz for a few seconds until a grated consistency. Alternatively grate by hand. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Reduce heat and add garlic and spices. Stir for one minute before adding the vegetables and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, stock, kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas and combine with the vegetable mixture. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a baking dish with edges overlapping. Spread a third of the bean mixture over tortillas then top with a third of the cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients by assembling layers of tortillas, beans, and cheese. End with grated cheese on the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve in your favourite WMBT Snackie. Delicious with sour cream.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
A Customizable Culinary Adventure
This Mexican Veggie Stack is delicious as-is, but because it’s such a versatile and adaptable treat, you have the option to customise it for variety, tailor it to diverse tastes and preferences, or elevate the experience further with a range of creamy dips.
Here are a few exciting alternatives:
- Protein Variations: Swap black beans for pinto beans, lentils, or even grilled tofu to cater to different protein preferences.
- Veggie Roulette: Mix and match vegetables! Try zucchini, corn, or spinach for variety.
- Dairy-Free Delight: Opt for dairy-free cheese or nutritional yeast to make it suitable for lactose-intolerant tummies.
Here are some delightful dips to savour:
- Sour Cream Sensation. Add a dollop of sour cream for a cool, tangy taste.
- Classic Guacamole. The creamy consistency and bright flavours make this a must-have siding.
- Tzatziki Twist. This Greek dip, made from yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, and herbs, offers a refreshing contrast to the casserole's earthy flavours.
Hungry For More?
If you enjoyed our Mexican Veggie Stack, there’s more where that came from! Discover more simple yet spectacular recipes in our Easy Dinner Ideas for Kids recipe collection—a handy booklet filled with delightful dinner inspirations sure to delight even the pickiest eaters. Or, as we like to call it, our ‘secret weapon’ to fun, fast and family-friendly meals!
Pin this Recipe