Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts Recipe
by Mona Fe Sotomayor on May 19, 2023
Calling all busy mums!
We know that you have your hands full with a million things to do, from running errands to shuttling your kids to and from school, all while trying to squeeze in a little bit of "me time." The last thing you want is to spend hours in the kitchen, cooking up a meal that your kids will only push around on their plates.
That's where our Crispy Bacon Brussels recipe comes in - it's quick, simple, and healthy, making it the perfect choice for busy days. Plus, when you pack it in a WMBT Snackie, you can rest easy knowing that your munchkins are getting a nutritious meal that they will enjoy.
These adorable lunch boxes are perfect for kids of all ages, and the compartments give you the option to keep the bacon and brussels sprouts separate until it's time to eat. Trust us when we say that your little ones will enjoy the novelty of the silicone snack box almost as much as they will like the savoury flavour of the bacon and sprouts.
So, let's dive into this delicious air fryer recipe that's sure to become a new family favourite!
Sprouting Your Kids’ Way to Good Health
Brussels sprouts may have a bad rep as they have a strong, bitter taste that can be unappetising for most kids. The reality is they're actually a little powerhouse of nutrition!
Here are some reasons why they're a great addition to your family's diet:
- They're packed with vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system and keeps your skin looking healthy.
- They're a good source of fibre, which helps keep your digestive system happy and healthy.
- They're loaded with antioxidants, which help protect your body against damage from free radicals.
- They're low in calories and carbs, making them an excellent choice for anyone watching their weight or eating a low-carb diet.
Despite all these significant health benefits, getting kids (and even some adults!) to eat their veggies can still be tricky. That's why we've come up with a delicious way to make brussels sprouts irresistible: Crispy Bacon! And the best part? They're made in the air fryer, which means they're crunchy, oh-so-tasty, and have less fat.
Crispy Bacon Brussels Recipe
Makes 2 Snackies | Prep 2 minutes
Ready to whip up a delicious and healthy snack for your family? Creating our Crispy Bacon Brussels recipe is as easy as 1-2-3! Just follow these simple steps and enjoy a snack that's both tasty and nutritious.
- 300g Brussels sprouts, washed, bottoms cut off, and quartered (equivalent to 10 large sprouts)
- 100g bacon, diced (equivalent to 3 rashers)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
Place the sprouts, bacon, salt, garlic powder, and olive oil into a medium-sized mixing bowl and toss until evenly coated.
Transfer the mixture to an air fryer and bake for around 10 minutes or until crispy, turning at the halfway point.
Transfer the cooked sprouts and bacon to your favourite WMBT Snackie and sprinkle with parmesan before enjoying!
Alternative Ways to Enjoy Brussels Sprouts
Want to switch up your Crispy Bacon Brussels recipe? Try these delicious and healthier meat and vegetarian alternatives. Plus, get the kids involved in the kitchen by letting them choose their own toppings.
- Prosciutto. Substitute the bacon with thinly sliced prosciutto for a salty and crispy twist.
- Chicken. Cut chicken breast into small pieces and season with your choice of spices before mixing it with the brussels sprouts. Cook in the air fryer until crispy.
- Turkey. Use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon for a leaner and lower-fat option.
- Mushrooms. Slice your favourite variety of mushrooms and mix them with the brussels sprouts for a meaty and earthy flavour.
- Tofu. Cut tofu into small pieces and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder before mixing with the brussels sprouts. Cook in the air fryer until crispy.
- Vegan bacon. Use vegan bacon instead of regular bacon for a plant-based option!
Don't forget to top off your Crispy Brussels with your choice of grated cheese before serving in your WMBT Snackies!
Incorporate these low carb foods into your family's diet and start sprouting your way to good health. Get creative and try out other meat or vegetarian alternatives to keep things interesting. With the versatility of the air fryer, the possibilities are endless.
There you have it - a delicious and healthy snack that your kids will surely love. With the help of your trusty air fryer and a cute, functional and eco-friendly silicone snack box, you can easily whip up a batch of Crispy Bacon Brussels to keep your little ones satisfied and energised throughout the day.
Pin this Recipe