by Mona Fe Sotomayor on May 17, 2023
There's no denying it, mums: we're all guilty of being a little obsessed with our diets. No matter your age, we just know that keeping ourselves in shape is not just about looking good, it's about feeling healthy too.
And let's face it, who wouldn't want to be fit and strong for their loved ones? We'd do anything to take care of our families, and that includes taking care of ourselves! But for those of us who don't have the time or energy to spend hours at the gym or meal prepping, finding the perfect diet can be a real challenge.
As much as we'd like to follow crazy but easy water-only or egg-only diets popping up online, it's a bit tricky for us mums on the go to find sustenance from those extreme diets alone. We shouldn't be experimenting with our bodies! We need something that is safe, healthy, and balanced for our distinct needs.
So instead of hoarding chia seeds, downing apple cider vinegar shots, or buying those weight loss teas, it's time to seek the help of the pros.
But here's a little secret: the pros all agree that one of the easiest ways to kickstart your journey to a healthier you is by starting with your snacks. Yes, you heard that right! It's time to take a closer look at what's in your snack bowl and decide whether what you're nibbling on can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
While indulging in a can of Pringles or a bag of Cheetos may offer a fleeting moment of satisfaction, these sneaky calorie culprits can actually wreak havoc on your waistline and even put your health at risk!
Our advice? Make a smart switch by trying out our flavour-packed Veggie Chips recipe. Surprisingly similar to your regular store-bought treats, this homemade healthy chips recipe is crunchy, crispy, and completely addictive.
Since it's made purely out of potatoes, carrots, and beetroots, it's impossible not to see this as a nutritious and healthier alternative for the whole family. Whether you munch it during your movie night sessions or add it as a lunch box item, we bet that you're little ones (and you!) will be eager to dig into this!
But you know what's even more exciting about our recipe? This can be made using an air fryer! When you're looking for a way to cut down on your oil intake and a quicker way to whip up something seriously delish, then this is hands down the best option. So if you're ready to hear that crunchy ASMR live at home, let's get cooking!
Veggie Chips Recipe
Makes 1 snackie | Prep 45 minutes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 beetroot
- 1 small sweet potato
- l large potato
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and scrub veggies.
- Thinly slice the potato and sweet potato before transferring them to a bowl of cold water. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the starch to release.
- Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer to 180° C for 2 minutes. Thinly slice the carrot and beetroot. Place in a large mixing bowl, then add half the olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat evenly.
- Working in batches (determined by the size of the air fryer), transfer carrot and beetroot to the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes, shaking the basket every few minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes before patting them dry and transferring them to a dry bowl. Add remaining oil and a little salt and pepper and toss to coat. Working in batches again, cook potato for 15 minutes, shaking basket every few minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Combine with carrot and beetroot chips, and enjoy.
Kids just love chips, so preparing this as a treat to bring to school will surely get them super excited.
For fuss-free snacking, we highly recommend placing the chips inside a silicone snack box like WMBT's Snackies. These silicone snack boxes boast adorable designs and double as both a snack pack and an airtight container. Just snap on the lid to avoid soggy chips for your little one's munchies.
Oh, and did you know that they are also microwave, freezer, and oven-safe? We don't know about you, but THAT feature screams unbeatable versatility!
Get Your Green Fix With These Veggies
The reason we love this Veggie Chips recipe is that this is a brilliant way to outsmart our kids and get them to eat their veggies. With reduced sodium and lower calories, each crunchy bite of these chips offers a guilt-free taste that satisfies your cravings without sacrificing your health.
But wait! Did you know that carrots, beetroots, and potatoes aren't the only veggies you can transform into chips? Here are a few alternatives that you can add to this healthy ensemble:
- Kale: Packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, kale chips make a nutrient-dense snacking choice.
- Turnips: With a low-calorie count and a good source of fibre, turnip chips are a healthy and satisfying option.
- Zucchini: Rich in nutrients and hydration, zucchini chips provide a lighter alternative to traditional chips.
- Okra: Okra chips boast a high fibre content, making them a heart-healthy snack option.
- Spinach: Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, spinach chips are a powerhouse of nutrition.
- Butternut squash: With high levels of vitamin A and fibre, butternut squash chips are both delicious and nutritious.
- Eggplant: Eggplant chips are low in calories and provide a good source of fibre and antioxidants, supporting a balanced diet.
- Seaweed: Seaweed chips are rich in iodine and minerals, supporting thyroid function and overall health.
One of the many joys of making these veggie chips is that kids will adore both the process and the final product! Although it will involve the use of a knife (or a mandolin), your little ones can help you in the kitchen by washing, drying, and seasoning the vegetables on their own. Trust us, they'll feel extra special knowing that the whole fam will get to enjoy their masterpieces!
Need more inspo? For air fryer recipes that will impress, be sure to check out our WMBT recipe collection! Here, you'll find pages and pages of mouthwatering dishes that you can make in your air fryer, from cookies to homemade muffins and more.
Pin this Recipe