Best Sugar Cookie Recipe For The Festive Season
by Rachel Tan on Oct 18, 2022
Bake your own extra-special Christmas gifts this year 🍪🎄
Everyone loves sweets in tiny packages for Christmas – so we’re bringing you an idea that is sure to impress this festive season.
Bake your own cookies to gift to teachers, family and loved ones all presented in a beautifully-styled jar with personalised tag this Christmas. We have the best Sugar Cookie recipe for stamping so you can put a fun spin on these old-school family favourites.
This irresistibly tasty recipe has been handed down through the generations and has stood the test of time.
What you'll need? Your ingredients, a rolling pin, a baking tray (or a non-stick silicone placemat) and a set of Christmas-themed cookie stamps (we’ve used We Might Be Tiny’s Christmas Stampies), some up-cycled mason or jam jars with lids, twine and some card and pens.
Simply make your dough, roll it out and use the cookie cutter to prep the stamping production line. Invite your munchkin to join in the fun too – it’s the perfect opportunity to spend quality baking time together where your tiny human decides which characters get to feature in your personal edible gift. If cooking with little ones isn’t your thing (yes, we get it mama – the mess!), instead get them involved in decorating – personalising a little tag for each jar and wrapping it in some festive twine.
- 2⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour or rice flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 226 g butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Sift and combine the flour, cornflour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Using a mixer, cream butter, sugar, and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract, followed by the flour mixture.
- If dough is too crumbly, add 1-2 tablespoons of water if necessary.
- Divide the dough into two flat discs, wrap with plastic wrap and place in fridge.
- Refrigerate for at least 1.5 hours or until cold enough to roll.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Working with one disc at a time, roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 6mm thickness.
- Roll onto baking paper, so it can be transferred to the fridge if dough gets too warm.
- Prepare Stampies by lightly flouring them and dusting off any excess.
- Using your Stampies, press firmly into the dough (ensure it does not crack the dough).
- Cut out the cookies using a stainless steel cutter.
- Place cookies on baking paper or silicone-lined baking tray.
- Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to prevent the dough from getting soft.
- Bake the cookies on the centre rack for 8-10 minutes at 180°C. DO NOT cook them over 10 min. They should remain blonde in colour.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to further cool before storing.
Tip: chill the dough between steps to prevent it getting warm and soft.
Recipe credit: Sharon Hunter from @emondo.kids