Butter Up Your Easter With This Scrumptious Bunny Shortbread Recipe!
by Mona Fe on Mar 13, 2023
Easter is knocking on our doors, so it's time to bring out the bunny ears & fluffy carrot plushies and start making memories! For most families, Easter is the ultimate time to bond and enjoy some egg-citing activities together. Whether you're hunting for chocolate eggs, decorating baskets, or taking hilarious selfies with your loved ones, there's something for everyone during this festive season.
The best part? Every family has their own traditions that bring them all closer together. For some, this might mean dressing up in a bilby costume, playing games, or joining the Easter fair. But if you're looking for a new one to add to your list of activities, why not consider counting the kitchen as a major gathering activity area?
Here at the WMBT HQ, we know the kitchen is the perfect place to create memories your kids will cherish forever. There's just something magical about letting your little ones loose in the kitchen - watching their eyes light up as they play with your fancy culinary gadgets or helping decorate every baked goodie you make for them. You see, being in the kitchen makes our kiddos feel that they are grown-ups. Even the act of sprinkling a little bit of sugar on a freshly baked treat can make them know they're contributing something important to their family.
But before you call your kids and prepare the kitchen for some family time, we highly recommend that you look for easy baking recipes that are quick, use a small number of ingredients, and are mess-free. After all, nobody wants to spend hours cleaning up after a fun sesh! Lucky for you we know of a recipe that fits the bill: Bunny Shortbread!
These buttery, crumbly cookies are the perfect addition to your Easter spread, as they are easy enough for your kids to help with but delicious enough for all the adults to enjoy. Plus, designing them into cute little bunnies can make for a fun and festive Easter activity for everyone.
But wait, there's more!
Our shortbread recipe also makes for a great all-season gift! Whether bringing them to a family gathering or gifting them to your neighbours, these delectable bites are a fun and festive way to spread love and cheer. Simply package the shortbread cookies in cute WMBT Snackies, tie the container with some ribbons, and it’s good to go! And because they're so delicious, they will surely be a hit with anyone who receives them!
Ready to take a bite and see how our Bunny Shortbread recipe turns out? Bring out your stocks of flour, and get ready to work your magic!
Bunny Shortbread Recipe
Makes 13 cookies | Prep 1 hour (including refrigeration time)
- 300 g (3 cups) spelt flour
- 150 g butter, cut into cubes
- 80 ml ( ⅓ cup) maple syrup
- half a bar of dark chocolate for decorating
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 160° C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed food processor and blitz until a dough forms.
- Roll out on parchment paper until about 3 mm thick. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top to cover, then transfer the dough to the fridge, ensuring it is on a completely flat surface, to chill for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, use a bunny cookie cutter to cut out the cookies before placing them on a baking tray and baking for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, then decorate with melted dark chocolate. A paintbrush is great for this step! Place in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set.
See how easy it is to make the Bunny Shortbread come together?
These are just so delicious that they'll disappear faster than you can hop to it! Our advice? Make a big batch and store it in the fridge for up to seven days. This way, you'll have a sweet treat on hand whenever your tot craves something buttery and tasty. To keep it fresh, use a dry, airtight container like our very own WMBT Snackies. Not only are they perfect for storing your cookie stash, but they can also be used to microwave, freeze, or bake snacks too! They are also designed to be toddler-friendly, BPA-free, and dishwasher-safe, so you can use these silicone storage containers over and over again!
What we love about shortbreads is that you can give them a spin depending on the occasion. This means that instead of just serving bunny characters, you can let your tiny assistants use other cookie cutter shapes to make other characters come to life. Additionally, you can base the design on a specific theme or simply let the young ones’ imagination run wild.
Want To Take This Shortbread Recipe On A Flavour Adventure?
The Bunny Shortbread recipe we covered above is a great base for almost any flavour you can think of. This means that you can prepare enough dough days or even weeks ahead of time, and use only a few minutes to add unique flavour to each batch. Check out our list below for a few ideas that would make for a tasty twist.
- Zestfully Good Shortbread - Transport yourself to a sunny day at the beach with this fun and zesty twist! Simply add lime zest to the dough and dip it into white chocolate before serving.
- Seriously Crunchy Shortbread- Create a finger-licking good sandwich cookie with this super delish treat! Simply throw in ground corn nuts or pumpkin seeds to the dough and add chocolate ganache between each cookie before serving.
- Savoury Pretzel Shortbread- This twist on a classic is sure to be the talk of any party! Throw in crushed pretzels to the dough, top it with dark chocolate, and garnish with more crushed pretzels.
- Espresso Shortbread - Rich, bold, and deliciously decadent, this twist on the shortbread highlights a buttery base with coffee mix for the ultimate treat. Don't forget to drizzle with dark chocolate before serving!
- Brown Sugar Delight - Elevate your snacking game with this sweet and scrumptious twist on our shortbread recipe! Simply swap the maple syrup with brown sugar and small amounts of salt to give your cookie a unique butterscotch flavour!
Need more inspiration? If you're ready to take your Easter feast to new heights, then you need to download our latest recipe booklet, Happy Easter! This incredible resource is jam-packed with mouth-watering recipes that are sure to be a hit with your little ones and guests alike. From sweet treats to savoury bites, this booklet has everything you need to create a truly unforgettable celebration.
And there you have it, mums: The ultimate Bunny Shortbread recipe for your Easter celebration! But don't just take our word for it! Get baking and see for yourself why this tasty delight is a fan-favourite among families and foodies alike. Whether you stick with the classic shortbread recipe or try out some of our fun and unique variations, we guarantee that your taste buds will thank you.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron, preheat your oven, and get ready to impress your guests with this adorable and delicious treat.
Pin This Recipe