Wow Your Guests With This Easy-to-Make Spinach Roulade Recipe
by Mona Fe on Mar 17, 2023
Curious about what holiday comes a close second to Christmas when it comes to pure excitement and joy?
If you ask any child, the answer will undoubtedly be "Easter!" and there’s no wonder why! This holiday is filled with family gatherings, bright pastel colours, and the promise of sweet treats. Whether biting into a chocolate bunny and colourful eggs or taking a whiff of the hot cross buns baking in the oven, the day is full of sensory delights that make it truly special for everyone.
And speaking of "senses," one of the best ways to make the day even more enjoyable is by putting together a menu that's as festive and fun as the holiday itself. Of course, serving the traditional roast lambs, maple-glazed hams, and baked fish with potatoes is definitely an option. Still, you can also add your own creativity to the menu, too. It's a season of new beginnings, after all, so why not break away from the usual?
We're encouraging you to add a bit of your own twist to accompany these classic recipes to bring a fresh approach to Easter. And if you want to do just that, there's nothing more that we can recommend than the savoury roulade this season!
Roulade recipes are a fantastic addition to any menu, whether hosting a special Easter event or just cooking up a weekday snack. They are a fun way to get the little ones involved, especially when it comes to spreading the filling, helping to roll, or pushing the button on the blitzer. Plus, if you consider its signature rolled shape, they certainly make for an elegant presentation that will impress your guests and delight your kids!
For us here at WMBT HQ, the beauty of roulade lies in its versatility, as it can be made with various fillings, from savoury meats and cheeses, to sweet jams and fruits! This is also a perfect Easter recipe for busy mums like you since you can make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to three days.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our latest recipe booklet, Happy Easter, packed with this and nine other recipes that will make big kids and little kids alike screaming “yum!”. These not only deserve a place on your Easter table, but are also perfect for year-round munching.
Ready to give this dish a space on your dinner table? If yes, then hold on to your aprons, ladies, as we'll go over our simplest and healthiest version of the classic roulade. Let's get started!
Spinach Roulade Recipe
Makes 20 slices | Prep 2 ½ hours (including 2 hours resting time)
- 4 medium eggs
- 200 g (6 ¾ cups) fresh spinach
- 50 g (½ cup) grated cheese
- 200 g (4/5 cup) cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 250 g smoked salmon slices
- Preheat oven to 160° C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place spinach and eggs in a high-speed food processor and blitz until smooth. Pour the spinach mixture into the prepared baking tray and sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the egg is completely set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before carefully loosening from the parchment paper.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over the surface, then place it on the salmon slices, covering the cheese completely.
- Using a pastry brush, brush lemon juice over the smoked salmon. Cut into four even sections before carefully rolling up each half tightly. Wrap each roll securely in cling wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 2 hours.
- Unwrap carefully, then slice into pieces around 2cm thick. Serve on your favourite We Might Be Tiny Stickie Plate and enjoy.
When it comes to storing your spinach roulade, it's important to use a good quality container to make it last longer. That's why if you've got leftovers, we highly recommend using WMBT's silicone snack boxes because they are airtight and will keep your roulade fresh for up to three days.
Why Add Spinach To Your Roulade?
The great thing about roulades is that they can be sweet or savoury but are always delicious. For this recipe in particular, we decided to add spinach because it is simply an incredibly healthy ingredient. Spinach is considered a nutrient powerhouse since it is loaded with vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source of dietary fibre. It's also low in calories, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is scientifically proven to support healthy brain function. And when combined with the healthy omega-3 fatty acids found in smoked salmon, this Spinach Roulade becomes a nutritious and delicious meal perfect for growing little bodies and active minds.
But wait - we know what you're thinking, mums! The moment you saw the green stuff, you wondered if your tots would eat it. We promise you they will love it when you serve it like this. Spinach has a mild flavour that even most picky eaters wouldn't notice! The fact that it’s in a fun swirly circle definitely helps raise the excitement factor. Give them a slice and serve it with your favourite WMBT silicone plates, and they'll be all set!
Want To Spice Up Your Spinach Roulade?
Since you're already thinking about adding this to your Easter table this year, why not level it up further by swapping out the ingredients with what you already have on hand? Doing so will keep this recipe in your rotation as a fun go-to. To help you in this adventure, we've rounded up the best alternatives below!
- Mediterranean Magic - This version features crumbled feta cheese, chopped olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and diced roasted red peppers for a tangy twist on the classic roulade.
- Chicken Pesto Perfection - Combine creamy ricotta cheese, basil pesto, and chicken slices for a rich and savoury roulade that'll make your family go “yum!”
- Smoky Turkey Delight - This filling brings together chopped chipotle peppers, smoked gouda cheese, smoked turkey, and roasted red onion for a bold flavour that packs a spicy kick.
- Ham & Cheese Dream - This classic combo features ham, grated cheddar cheese, and fresh herbs for a comforting and satisfying meal that's perfect for any occasion.
- Indian-Inspired Bliss - This variation is a blend of spiced ground lamb, crumbled paneer cheese, red curry, and diced onion for an exotic twist!
- Mexican Fiesta - Blend together spicy ground beef, crumbled cotija cheese, onion, and bell pepper, with a touch of fresh cilantro for an extra pop!
Ready to dig in? Follow this spinach recipe today or tailor it further to meet your loved ones' specific tastes. After all, the key to any good recipe is to experiment with different ingredients and flavours until you find something that works for you!
Pin This Recipe