Beetroot and Choc Muffins
by Eleanor Cullen on Mar 09, 2023
Calling all busy mums!
With Easter just around the corner, it's time to start planning your menu for the occasion. While traditional Easter treats are always a hit, it's also important to keep things healthy and mix things up a bit. And that's where these yummy Beetroot Chocolate Muffins come in! Not only are they absolutely delicious, but they're a great way to sneak some veggies into your family's diet - especially for those fussy eaters. Enter stealth-mode, mums!
One of the best things about this recipe is that you can easily make it your own. The base recipe is already good-for-you and tasty, but feel free to add in your little one's favourite toppings and ingredients to make it even more special. Whether it's chocolate chips, sprinkles, or something entirely different, the possibilities are endless! And why not give your revamped muffin versions some unique names to make them even more fun and exciting?
Now, let's talk about why beetroot is such a fantastic ingredient. This nutrient-packed veggie is often overlooked, but it's high in antioxidants which help protect your body from damage caused by free radicals. Plus, beetroot is high in fibre, which can keep you feeling full and help with digestion. And let's not forget about the vitamins and minerals, such as folate, iron, and potassium.
So, this Easter, why not try these healthy Beetroot Chocolate Muffins? Your family will adore them, and you'll feel great knowing you're feeding them something nutritious and tasty. To make things even better, we're using WMBT silicone muffin cups, which are not only cute but also eco-friendly.
Beetroot Chocolate Muffins Recipe
Makes 16 Muffins | Prep 30 minutes
Here's what you'll need to whip up a batch of these scrumptious treats:
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 50 g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250 g (2 cups) raw beetroot, grated (equates to 3-4 medium-sized beetroots)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 200 g (1 3⁄4 cups) light spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
Baking these Beetroot and Choc Muffins is not only a fun activity for you, but it's also a great opportunity to get your kids involved in the kitchen. With these easy steps, you and your little ones can make these yummy muffins together:
- Start by preheating your oven to 180°C and getting your muffin tray ready. And if you want to make it even more fun, try using our Silicone Muffin Cups or Freeze & Bake Poddies in different shapes and sizes. It will be a hit with your kids!
- Next, it's time to gather your ingredients. Warm up some oil, maple syrup, and dark chocolate pieces in a saucepan over low heat. Keep stirring until the chocolate has melted completely, then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add grated beetroot and whisked eggs to the mix, and give it a good stir. Sift together flour, baking powder, cacao powder, and salt in a separate bowl, then stir everything into the beetroot mixture until well combined.
- Now comes the fun part! Get your muffin cups ready and pour the batter evenly into each cup. This is where you and your kids can get creative by using our Silicone Muffin Cups or different shapes and sizes of our Freeze & Bake Poddies.
- Pop everything in the oven and bake everything for 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye out for your muffins - they should be slightly dark and cracked on top and still a little sticky inside.
- Once they're done, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Then, it's time to indulge in these delicious Beetroot and Choc Muffins! These muffins are the perfect healthy and tasty treat for you and your family, and baking them with your kids is a great way to spend quality time together.
Baking these muffins is a fun family activity. You and your children will not only have a great time, but you will also be teaching them valuable skills and introducing them to healthy and delicious treats. So gather the wee ones and begin baking these delicious muffins today!
Jazz ‘Em Up
Now, let's talk about how you can jazz up these Beetroot and Choco Muffins with different toppings. Get your kids involved in the brainstorming process, and have some fun in the kitchen!
Chocolate chips. Who doesn't love more chocolate, right? Add some chocolate chips to your muffin batter, and you and the young ones will get delicious pockets of melted chocolate in every bite. Yum!
Sprinkles. Kids go crazy over sprinkles, so why not sprinkle some on your muffins? You can use colourful sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles, or even rainbow sprinkles for a fun and festive touch.
Nuts. Add some chopped almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts to your muffin batter if your family enjoys nuts. They'll give your muffins a satisfying crunch and texture that you won't be able to resist.
Coconut flakes. Do you want to add a tropical twist to your muffins? Add some coconut flakes to your batter for a delicious and nutty flavour that goes well with chocolate.
Cream cheese frosting. If you're feeling fancy, try topping your muffins with a smooth and decadent cream cheese frosting. It's the perfect way to take your muffins to the next level and satisfy your sweet tooth.
So, mums, don't be afraid to experiment and try out different toppings and ingredients. Get creative and make these Beetroot and Choc Muffins your own! And don't forget to get your little ones involved in the process. Spending quality time in the kitchen with your children is always a great way to bond. It's an opportunity to teach them useful skills and make special memories that will last a lifetime. And who knows, maybe you'll find a new family favourite recipe that you'll be making for years to come!
Let’s Get Baking
So there you have it, mums! These Beetroot and Choc Muffins are the perfect treat for Easter or any year-round occasion. With the amazing benefits of beetroot, you can feel good knowing that you're giving your family a healthy snack that they'll love. And with our fun and eco-friendly Silicone Muffin Cups and Freeze & Bake Poddies, you and your little ones can get creative with different shapes and sizes, making it an enjoyable and memorable baking experience.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our latest booklet, “Happy Easter,” which features 9 other delicious, family-friendly recipes your family will love.
So, roll up your sleeves, gather the kids, and get baking!