Turn Dinnertime Into A Fiesta With This Easy Taco Potatoes Recipe
by Mona Sotomayor on Nov 17, 2023
Hey all you busy mums! Are you looking for a meal that's a breeze to make and will make tiny tastebuds happy? We’ve got just the thing. Brace yourself for our Taco Potatoes recipe – a treat for your whole family! From dinners to lunch boxes, it's the ultimate answer to quick and easy meals that guarantee a mouthwatering adventure.
And to make this mealtime treat even easier, use the We Might Be Tiny Snackies for quick cleanup and for storing any leftovers, if there are any! These silicone snack boxes are like culinary companions, keeping your meal fresh, fab, and oh-so-simple to serve.
Are you ready to dive into this flavour fiesta? Let's fire up those taste buds and let the cooking party begin!
Why Taco Potatoes Are an Absolute Family Delight
Taco Potatoes are the perfect meal for the whole fam, no matter their preferences. Not only are they simple to prepare, but everyone can customise theirs however they’d like! Here's why these delectable delights will have everyone at the table asking for seconds:
- Irresistible Flavours for All Ages. Imagine the joy of crispy potato perfection meeting the tangy, taco-inspired toppings. This recipe blends textures and tastes that resonate with both the young and the young-at-heart. Kids will love being able to build their own, while adults will appreciate the playful twist on traditional flavours.
- Custom Creations for Everyone. Let your little monsters unleash their inner chef by making their own masterpiece. They can choose their own toppings and add that extra sprinkle of cheese, building their personalised taco-infused creation. It's a DIY adventure.
- Easy Prep, Maximum Enjoyment. Family dinners should be about bonding, not spending hours on complicated recipes. Taco Potatoes step up with their simple preparation and guaranteed smiles around the table. No stress, no fuss – just deliciousness served with a side of togetherness.
Find the Perfect Topping
The beauty of this recipe is you can let your creativity shine. We give you a starting point, but take things up a notch by switching up the veggies, adding different sauces, even a change of cheese! Here are some suggestions for top-notch pairings that will take your taco-infused spuds to the next level:
- Cheesy Bliss. For that gooey, decadent touch, melted cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese is a must. Sprinkle some over your Taco Potatoes and watch the magic happen with each delicious bite. Feeling adventurous? Experiment with cotija, even feta or havarti for a tasty surprise!
- Fresh Veggie Crunch. Add some crunch to your recipe with diced tomatoes, colourful peppers, and crisp lettuce. These traditional taco toppers not only give a blast of coolness and flavour but also a pleasant crunch to the warm, savoury potato base. Want to add a twist? Try cucumbers or kale.
- Creamy Avocado Love. A dollop of creamy guacamole or slices of ripe avocado can transform your dish into a delicious dream. The velvety avocado texture harmonises perfectly with the potato's crispiness.
- Zesty Salsa Twist. For that tangy kick, spoon on some zesty salsa. It’s easy to whip up your own with a combination of finely diced (or blitzed) tomatoes, onions, a dash of pepper for heat and a squeeze of lilme juice. Adjust the spice level to suit your fam’s preferences. The salsa's vibrant flavours add a burst of excitement to your taco-inspired creation.
- Kid-Friendly Sour Cream. Kids and adults alike adore a dollop of cool and creamy sour cream. Its soothing contrast balances the heat for a satisfying experience.
Time to spice up your kitchen! Let's whip up a Taco Potato fiesta that'll make the family meal extra special.
Taco Potatoes Recipe
Prep time 1 hour & 10 minutes | Serves 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- Half a red capsicum, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 50 g (½ cup) corn
- 500 g ( ½ pack) lean mince
- 250 ml (1 cup) passata (or more for additional liquid)
- 1 tsp veggie stock paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Wash potatoes thoroughly with cold water then dry well. Using a fork, poke around 10 deep holes all over each potato.
- Place potatoes in a dish and coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle with salt then place on prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat then sauté onions until soft and translucent. Add garlic and vegetables and sauté for five minutes.
- Add mince and cook until brown before adding all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine then allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Cut the baked potatoes in half then top with mince mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve with guacamole, salsa and sour cream in your favourite We Might Be Tiny Snackie and enjoy.
Looking for more exciting meals?
Ready to please even the pickiest eaters? Our "Easy Dinner Ideas for Kids" booklet is just the thing for you. Our special cookbook offers more than just food; it's a monument to the power of flavour and family. Happy cooking!
Pin this Recipe