Spook-tacular Halloween Sausage Mummies For Little Tummies
by Mona Fe on Oct 15, 2022
Halloween is one of the best times to get creative in the kitchen. You can make all sorts of spooky snacks and party foods for your little ghouls and goblins, and these Halloween Sausage Mummies are one of our favourites! They're quick to make, and kids will love creating their own little spooky sausage creatures.
This Halloween Sausage Mummy recipe is a super-easy-to-make treat that’ll have everyone screaming for more! With four simple ingredients and some pastry wrapping fun, you’ll have these too-cute-to-spook little mummies served up in no time. But be warned, they won’t last long – guests will simply not be able to resist sinking their fangs into this fa-boo-lous snack or stashing them in their silicone storage container as a treat for later!
Sausage is the star of this recipe - which is a tot favourite. We love (and the kids will, too!) that they look like little mummies right out of the package. Whether you choose beef, turkey, chicken, pork or even vegan, there’s an option for even the pickiest eaters.
Little Monsters Will Love This Halloween Recipe
Here at WMBT HQ, we’re excited about this fun and delicious Halloween recipe not only because it’s creative, but it’s so easy to make that even your tiny tots will love helping out!
From rolling the pastry or putting on the edible eyes, preparing this Halloween treat can be an enjoyable mum-child bonding activity. Just remember: make sure you supervise the kids as they make these mummified treats as baking and sharp tools like knives are involved.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get in the Halloween spirit and start creating these fun Halloween Sausage Mummies!
Halloween Sausage Mummies
- Half roll puff pastry
- 4 large or 8 small sausages (can be chicken, beef, pork, vegan, or a mix!)
- Ketchup (for glazing)
- Edible Eyes (can be easily found online in case you can’t find them in your local store)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut puff pastry into 0.5 cm strips with a sharp knife and wrap each one around sausage until it looks like a mummy, leaving a little space on top for eyes.
- Place on baking tray and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden, being careful not to burn.
- Allow to cool slightly then add edible eyes.
Easy peasy, right? In just 20 minutes, you’ll have a platter full of Halloween treats that your kids will enjoy eating as much as they will love making!
Perfect Beverage Pairing
We love a good sausage roll recipe, and luckily, there are plenty of kid-friendly beverage options when you're looking for something to serve with your sausage rolls. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Sparkling Water
- Chocolate Milk
- Apple Juice
- Pro tip: Raspberry or pomegranate flavoured drinks will look like spooky Halloween “blood”!
Use Halloween-themed glasses to serve the perfect pair to your Sausage Mummies, and voilá! You now have a boo-tiful feast that’ll give your trick-or-treaters just the right amount of scares, er, we mean cheer.
Don’t Forget Proper Storage
What makes our Halloween Sausage Mummies even more appealing is that they can be easily stored just in case you want to eat them later - that is, if there are any leftovers.
One of the storage containers that we love most is the Stickie® Bowl. This silicone bowl and matching lid can comfortably hold your stash of Halloween Sausage Mummies, along with slices of your go-to fruits, nuts, veggie sticks, and raisins.
This wonder bowl is a must-have because of its durability and easy cleanup. Plus, the clever, ergonomic design makes it toddler-proof, and the perfect storage container for food and your delectable Halloween treats, of course. It comes in seven fabulous colours, too!
The best thing about the Stickie® Bowl is it’s a parent-approved suction bowl for babies. The suction base holds the bowl firmly in place on almost any solid surface and can deal with even the wildest toddler tantrum.
Now you and your little ones will have that much-needed pizzazz to rock mealtime like a boss!
Not Just for Halloween
Don’t feel like you have to wait for Halloween to make these delicious Sausage Mummies. They're so quick and easy to make that you can whip them up year-round!
They are the perfect snack for kids and adults alike, so they're great for parties and everyday snacking.
Some Safety Tips
We love the idea of the little monsters helping in the kitchen. It's an excellent way for them to learn about cooking, and since Halloween Sausage Mummies are so easy to do, involving the tots can be a lot of fun!
But we know that with all the excitement and energy in play, it's easy to forget some important safety tips. To help you out, here are some reminders so things don’t get too scary:
- Never leave your child alone in the kitchen while they're using an oven or stovetop. It's just not safe! Even if they're following directions perfectly, there are too many ways things can go wrong.
- Remind kids to keep their faces away from hot surfaces like burners and ovens. Sometimes they need a gentle reminder when they're having a good time cooking with you!
- Make sure your child knows how to use each appliance properly before letting them near any potentially dangerous ones, like an oven.
- To be safe, you do the cutting of the pastry (or let a big kid help). Keep the little ones away from all sharp knives.
Always remember: Safety first! We're all about making sure everyone, especially the children, will have a grand time in the kitchen while preparing your Halloween feast.
Let’s Get Cooking
Halloween is the perfect time to play with your food. It's a chance to make something that's fun and unexpected, just like these Halloween Sausage Mummies. What better way to enjoy a together-activity, followed by a delicious and spooky treat?
So don't let Halloween pass you by without some fantastic treats for your entire family. Enjoy your own batch of Halloween Sausage Mummies when you make them today!
PIN THIS RECIPE