Crunch Your Way Through This Amazing Hasselback Potato Nests Recipe
by Mona Fe on Mar 23, 2023
From dyeing eggs to hunting for hidden treasures, there's a sense of fun and wonder that fills the air during Easter. And let's not forget that it's not just for kids! Adults can get in on the fun, whether it's through playing board games with the family, joining Easter egg decorating contests, or indulging in some fresh-baked bread and buttery side dishes.
But if we have to pick the highlight of it all, food remains the thing that we’re all looking forward to. From grilled prawns buttered to a crispy finish to juicy roasted lambs with rosemary and garlic, it's impossible not to be tempted by the mouthwatering aromas that'll fill everyone's kitchen. And if you factor in the irresistible pavlova and carrot cake to top off the feast, it's almost impossible not to get caught up in the festive spirit!
And since you landed on this post, chances are you're already thinking about hosting an Easter brunch or dinner party of your own. But let's be real. Planning a menu that will please the crowd can be a daunting task- more so if you think about the time, effort, and resources that go into it (and a picky eater or two!).
While sticking with the tried-and-true Easter recipes can be a safe bet, why not add some pizazz to your menu and make this Easter one to remember? You don't even have to go overboard and whip up something completely new! In fact, with just a few simple tweaks here and there, you can easily turn your go-to recipes into something extraordinary.
Here’s a great place to start: instead of serving mashed potatoes as a side dish, you can add your own spin and serve oh-so-buttery, crispy, and delicious Hasselback Potato Nests! These yummy nuggets are super easy to prepare and a fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Your little ones can have a blast brushing oil onto the potatoes and seasoning them with herbs, salt, and pepper. What kid doesn't love getting their hands a little dirty and feeling like they're a part of creating something special, right?
So if you're ready to cook a mean batch of this baked potato recipe, then prepare your baking trays and let’s get started!
Hasselback Potato Nests Recipe
Makes 8 potatoes | Prep 1 hour
- 8 small potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian herb mix
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Using a sharp knife, cut parallel slits into each potato, stopping just before you cut through so that the slices stay connected at the bottom. Space the slices 5 mm apart.
- Arrange potatoes on the baking tray, then drizzle with olive oil, ensuring that oil gets into the slits.
- Season with herbs, salt, and pepper, then bake for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are crispy on the edges.
- Best served straight from the oven while the edges are at their crispiest.
Once you serve this heavenly potato dish, be prepared to have your guests both big and small gobbling them up! They're just ridiculously good and will quickly become a new favourite in your home. If there are any leftovers at all, we highly recommend storing them in airtight silicone snack boxes like WMBT's Snackies. You can freeze them for up to three months and pop them in the oven when you're ready to dig in again.
Pressed for time? The best part about this recipe is that you can prepare the potatoes ahead of time. You can cut them a day before you plan to cook them and store them in our silicone Snackies. To prevent discoloration, make sure to add enough water to cover the potatoes and add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar. Simply drain the potatoes the next day and dry them thoroughly with a clean tea towel to maintain the beautiful appearance of your potatoes.
When it comes to creating the perfect Hasselback Potato Nests, precision is key! A single misstep in your slicing technique can turn your potato into a sliced mess. But fear not! We have a fun and easy trick that’ll help you nail the perfect cut: Use chopsticks!
Simply grab a pair of chopsticks and place your potato parallel between them before slicing. This will help you achieve the perfect depth without slicing all the way through (and will prevent the potatoes from rolling away).
Want To Level Up Your Hasselback Potato Nests?
What we love about this Hasselback Potato Nest recipe is that it's a starter that you can tweak to suit your kids’ taste buds. It's also a great opportunity to use leftover ingredients like cheese, ham, and vegetables.
To help you out, we rounded up below some of the variations you can do to make this extra special for your family.
- Cheesy Garlic: Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and minced garlic over the potatoes before baking for a savoury and satisfying dish.
- Pesto Party: Spread a layer of fresh pesto between each slice of the potato for a burst of fresh and tangy flavour.
- Sweet & Spicy: Brush the potatoes with honey and sriracha sauce before baking for that added kick.
- Pizza Night: Spread a layer of pizza sauce in each slice and layer it with diced pepperoni and mozzarella cheese for a delicious and unique pizza-inspired twist.
- Taco Tuesday: Top the Hasselback Potatoes with seasoned ground beef, shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of salsa for a fun and flavorful Mexican take.
- Go Garlicky: Roast a whole head of garlic and spread the soft, caramelised cloves between each slice of the potato for a rich and savoury flavour.
Feel like you're craving something sweet? You can also swap the regular potatoes with sweet potatoes and brush them with melted butter. Don't forget to top them with a sweetener like brown sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, apple slices, or Nutella!
If you love this recipe and want more inspiration for your Easter feast - and beyond, check out our latest recipe booklet, Happy Easter, packed with delicious party and snack-friendly recipes your whole family will love!
Whether you're a savoury or sweet fan, a Hasselback Potato Nest variation out there is sure to satisfy your cravings. With a little bit of creativity and experimentation, you can take this classic recipe to new heights - and get a high-five from the fam! So why not try this recipe and the variations above to see which one is your kids' favourite? We guarantee that once you start making the Hasselback Potato Nests, you'll never look at a potato the same way again!
Pin This Recipe