Snapper Fish Cakes: An Airfryer Recipe for Mighty Easy Meals (Kid-Approved!)
by Mona Fe Sotomayor on May 15, 2023
Picture this - it's a busy weekday morning, and you're trying to get your family ready for school and out the door while preparing for your own day. The last thing you want to worry about is what to pack for lunch.
Should you just reach for a bag of chips and call it a day? Not on our watch.
For busy mums on the lookout for simple recipes that don’t take long to prepare, are freezer-friendly, and get the seal of approval from everyone in the household, you’ll love having this on rotation.
We’re so excited to share one of our favourite recipes over at the WMBT HQ - Snapper Fish Cakes. A tried, tested, and kid-approved make-ahead fish recipe that you can prep and store for a quick meal right when you need it.
Now you might be asking, how is this possible?!
Well, we’ve got two secret weapons to help you rock meal times without breaking a sweat.
Must-Have Kitchen Buddies For Busy Mums
Our super delicious Snapper Fish Cakes recipe meets the magical Air Fryer and our award-winning WMBT Snackies. A ridiculously cute silicone lunch box with a snap-on lid makes snacking on the go a breeze. Non-slip, non-stick and shatter-proof, it’s also conveniently microwave, freezer, and dishwasher friendly.
This recipe is part of our Air Fryer Recipe Collection, which features easy and nutritious meal ideas that can be prepared quickly using an air fryer, as well as various products from We Might Be Tiny.
One of the reasons you’ll love these Snapper Fish Cakes is it only requires a few simple steps and uses ingredients that can easily be found in your pantry. It's the perfect solution for parents who want to prepare a lunch box item their kids will love without spending much time in the kitchen.
But why stop at just lunch? Snapper Fish Cakes are a versatile dish that can be enjoyed any time of day! Serve them as an appetiser at your next party or as a snack while watching a movie. And with the help of our WMBT Snackies, it's easy to store and transport them for picnics, potlucks, and perfectly portioned meals.
Since it doesn’t take too long to get this one-pot wonder ready, getting your little ones involved in the cooking process can also be a fun and educational activity for them. Just be sure to supervise them when handling knives or other kitchen tools.
Now You Sea-Food, Now You Don’t
Crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside - don’t expect a lot of leftovers with this crowd-pleaser!
Kid-friendly: Not all kiddos are keen on seafood, but because we used white fish like snapper for a milder flavour, even the pickiest eaters won’t stand a chance!
Protein-packed: It’s a delicious way to serve up a nutritionally balanced meal that’s high in protein and yet low in fat.
Scrumptious to the last bite: The combination of Snapper, mashed potato, and sweet potato is enough to leave both the tiny tots and the grown-ups reaching for seconds.
The great thing about our Snapper Fish Cakes recipe is that it’s totally flexible and impossible to get wrong. You can easily swap out any ingredient with what you have in your pantry. But to make this completely fool-proof, here are some tips and tricks to keep in your back pocket:
- Adult-Supervision Required! Make a batch with an extra kick of flavour for the grown-ups; add a dash of hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Swap Your Snapper: You can also try using different types of fish, such as salmon or cod, for a different flavour profile.
- Make Fish Fun! If the sight of seafood sends your fussy eater running for the hills, you can try shaping the patties into cute shapes or use cookie cutters to make them more appealing.
- Leftover-Friendly: To make this recipe even easier, you can use leftover mashed potatoes or even leftover cooked white fish from the night before.
- Love Dip? We Do, Too: These patties are delicious on their own, but you can easily turn it up a notch by serving it up with a side of your munchkin’s favourite dipping sauce, such as tartar sauce or aioli.
Ready to whip up this culinary treat that doesn’t compromise on nutrition (or your sanity)?
Snapper Fish Cakes Recipe
Makes 12 Kebabs | Prep 35 minutes
- 200 g potato, cut into small pieces equates to one large potato
- 120 g sweet potato, cut into small pieces equates to half a medium sweet potato
- 200 g snapper, cooked, flaked and allowed to cool equates to one small fillet
- 30 g (⅓ cup) frozen peas
- zest of a lime
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 50 g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- In a pan, boil the potatoes until tender, then mash well and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, add to a large mixing bowl together with the flaked fish, peas, lime zest, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper, and egg. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop out ¼ cup portions and roll them into balls before flattening them slightly into patties.
- Coat each patty evenly with breadcrumbs, then place into the air fryer basket.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches.
- Bake at 200° C for 15 minutes until golden and crispy, turning halfway.
Pin this Recipe