Chicken Cottage Pie Recipe – Baby and Toddler Approved
by Mona Fe on Jul 18, 2021
Arguably the Best Veggie-Loaded, Toddler-Approved Chicken Cottage Pie Recipe EVER
This one’s specifically for all our Stickie Bowl lovers.
Ready to turn this baby and toddler-approved Chicken Cottage Pie recipe into the best thing since sliced bread? Oh, and you’ll score yourself some serious street cred along the way.
Here we go…
- Start off by making the glorious filling. You’re looking at the nutritious goodness of carrot, zucchini, capsicum, peas, corn and chicken.
- Then whip up the vegetable-fuelled topping with the potent vitamins of potato and sweet potato.
- Now grab your Stickie Bowl, add the filling, follow it with the topping and finish it off with a generous serve of grated cheese.
- Pop your Stickie Bowl into the oven until golden brown and you’ve got yourself a mini masterpiece your munchkin can’t wait to dig into.
Of course this recipe works on a larger scale without a Stickie Bowl, but our version is much more fun.
Imagine digging into your very own mini Chicken Cottage Pie, personally prepared by your favourite grown-up.
It’s pretty special!
And turn out even more special for you once you’ve realised that the clean-up will be a breeze because - just like all We Might Be Tiny Silicone products - the Stickie Bowl loves a good session in the dishwasher. #cleveryou
Makes 8 Stickie Bowls
- 10 small potatoes
- 1 small sweet potato
- 20 g butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- half zucchini, diced
- half a red capsicum, diced
- 400 g leftover cooked chicken, torn into strips
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 tsp parsley
- 120 g (1 cup) frozen sweetcorn
- 120 g (1 cup) frozen peas
- 90 g (1 cup) cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Peel potatoes and sweet potato and cut into chunks. In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes in cold water, bring to the boil, and simmer until tender.
While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and then add the onion and saute for 3-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add the carrot, zucchini, capsicum, and garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Add the chicken strips and chicken stock and allow to simmer for around 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the parsley, sweetcorn, and peas and set aside.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain well, and allow to steam dry for a few minutes before mashing well with the milk and butter until smooth.
Place the chicken mixture into a large baking dish or individual Stickie Bowls and top with the mashed potato. Smooth over with the back of a fork then add the grated cheese.
Place in oven to bake for 30 minutes until the topping turns golden brown.
Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.